Mark is a Partner in our Dispute Resolution team and specialises in business disputes and challenging the decisions of public bodies (i.e. judicial review).
Although Mark has spent most of his career in private practice as an external advisor, he has also worked in-house for Morrisons and Iceland. Whilst working for retail businesses, Mark has developed an excellent understanding of the retail sector and, in particular, food and drink retail. For that reason, Mark is frequently seen commenting in trade and national press with opinion pieces published in the Guardian, the Independent, Foodbev, The Caterer, Food Processing, Estates Gazette, Yorkshire Post, The Grocer and on Foodmanufacture.co.uk.
The Legal 500 directory, the UK’s leading guide to law firms, say Mark is ‘efficient and easy to work with’.
Notable/recent work includes acting:
- in a £11m retail (GM and food) supply dispute;
- for a supplier in a £5m GSCOP de-listing dispute;
- in a £4m partnership asset dispute;
- for clients to enforce restrictive covenants and recover diverted profits;
- for one of the largest electrical heating businesses in Europe in a multi-million supply dispute;
- for food retailers and suppliers in relation to trade agreement disputes;
- for the largest suppliers in England and Ireland delivering GSCOP training;
- in a judicial review claim against Natural England regarding wildlife licencing;
- for grocery retailers and retail developers both bringing and defending judicial review claims; and
- for commodities suppliers in cross border disputes.
“Mark Jones and Gordons are excellent. A business critical situation unexpectedly arose and with Mark’s advice and knowledge of the grocery sector, we were able to navigate our way through. In fact, the outcome was far better than we ever imagined it would be.” ~ Mark Salter, Managing Director, Cooking For Aisha Ltd
“We instructed Mark and Gordons because we needed a lawyer who knew grocery retail and its supply chain. His advice was invaluable when the pressure was on. He guided us through the process. I highly recommend him” ~ Matthew North, Commercial Director, Keelings (International) Ltd, and Steven Fagg, Managing Director, Keelings (International) Ltd
To read Mark’s comments on the recent sale of Unilever’s spreads business in The Independent, please click here.
News & ViewsView all News & Views
Supermarket price wars leave UK food suppliers close to bankruptcy
Thousands of suppliers to UK supermarkets are at risk of going bust due to intense...
CMA may allow Asda/Sainsbury's merger despite a squeeze on suppliers
Yesterday, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched an investigation into a proposed merger between...
KitKat foiled again as Nestlé loses trade mark battle
On Wednesday, the European Court of Justice rejected a trade mark appeal by Nestlé, which...
How will the shortage of CO2 affect the UK’s food and drink...
Threatening to hit the supply of beer, meat and poultry, soft drinks and salads, the...