Mark is a Partner in our Dispute Resolution team and specialises in business disputes and challenging the decisions of public bodies (i.e. judicial review).
Although Mark has spent most of his career in private practice as an external advisor, he has also worked in-house for Morrisons and Iceland. Whilst working for retail businesses, Mark has developed an excellent understanding of the retail sector and, in particular, food and drink retail. For that reason, Mark is frequently seen commenting in trade and national press with opinion pieces published in the Guardian, the Independent, Foodbev, The Caterer, Food Processing, Estates Gazette, Yorkshire Post, The Grocer and on Foodmanufacture.co.uk.
The Legal 500 directory, the UK’s leading guide to law firms, say Mark is ‘efficient and easy to work with’.
Notable/recent work includes acting:
- in a £11m retail (GM and food) supply dispute;
- for a supplier in a £5m GSCOP de-listing dispute;
- in a £4m partnership asset dispute;
- for clients to enforce restrictive covenants and recover diverted profits;
- for one of the largest electrical heating businesses in Europe in a multi-million supply dispute;
- for food retailers and suppliers in relation to trade agreement disputes;
- for the largest suppliers in England and Ireland delivering GSCOP training;
- in a judicial review claim against Natural England regarding wildlife licencing;
- for grocery retailers and retail developers both bringing and defending judicial review claims; and
- for commodities suppliers in cross border disputes.
“Mark’s guidance and support during a period of commercial uncertainty was invaluable. His knowledge of the grocery market and how to manage difficult supply situations delivered an excellent result for our business. I highly recommend Mark and Gordons.” ~ Toby Bartlett, Director of Alan Bartlett & Sons Ltd
“Mark Jones and Gordons are excellent. A business critical situation unexpectedly arose and with Mark’s advice and knowledge of the grocery sector, we were able to navigate our way through. In fact, the outcome was far better than we ever imagined it would be.” ~ Mark Salter, Managing Director, Cooking For Aisha Ltd
“We instructed Mark and Gordons because we needed a lawyer who knew grocery retail and its supply chain. His advice was invaluable when the pressure was on. He guided us through the process. I highly recommend him” ~ Matthew North, Commercial Director, Keelings (International) Ltd, and Steven Fagg, Managing Director, Keelings (International) Ltd
News & ViewsView all News & Views
Mark Jones quoted by the BBC on the decline in sales at...
Partner Mark Jones has been quoted by the BBC again, this time reacting to the...
Mark Jones comments on The Guardian on the Asda-Sainsbury’s merger decision
Mark Jones, partner at Gordons and an expert in the food and drink supply chain,...
Mark Jones comment on GCA rules on Co-op GSCOP breaches on KamCity
Gordons’ partner Mark Jones is an expert on GSCOP and has been regularly featured in...
Will a no-deal Brexit impact the fresh food market?
Unilever has confirmed it is stockpiling Ben and Jerry's ice cream and Magnum bars in...