- Commercial Litigation
- Judicial reviews and public inquiries
- Food and Drink
Mark is a senior solicitor in our Commercial Litigation team and specialises in business disputes and challenging the decisions of public bodies (i.e. judicial review).
Although Mark has spent most of his career in private practice as an external advisor, he has also worked in-house for Morrisons and Iceland. Whilst working for retail businesses, Mark has developed an excellent understanding of the retail sector and, in particular, food and drink retail. For that reason, Mark is frequently seen commenting in trade and national press with opinion pieces published in the Guardian, the Independent, Foodbev, The Caterer, Food Processing, Estates Gazette, Yorkshire Post, The Grocer and on Foodmanufacture.co.uk.
The Legal 500 directory, the UK’s leading guide to law firms, say Mark is ‘efficient and easy to work with’.
Notable/recent work includes acting:
- in a £11m retail (GM and food) supply dispute;
- for a supplier in a £5m GSCOP de-listing dispute;
- in a £4m partnership asset dispute;
- for clients to enforce restrictive covenants and recover diverted profits;
- for one of the largest electrical heating businesses in Europe in a multi-million supply dispute;
- for food retailers and suppliers in relation to trade agreement disputes;
- for the largest suppliers in England and Ireland delivering GSCOP training;
- in a judicial review claim against Natural England regarding wildlife licencing;
- for grocery retailers and retail developers both bringing and defending judicial review claims; and
- for commodities suppliers in cross border disputes.
To read Mark’s comments on the recent sale of Unilever’s spreads business in The Independent, please click here.
Bayer-Monsanto merger could reshape EU food sector.
Mega-mergers in the food and farming sector have become commonplace, but EU competition laws do litt ...Read More >
Should You Trust Sports Nutrition Packaging?
Do you trust the labels on the food and drink you buy at the local supermarket? How about the sports ...Read More >
Shrinking sweets? ‘You’re not imagining it,’ ONS tells shoppers
Detailed analysis of ‘shrinkflation’ confirms some of the UK’s favourite treats really are get ...Read More >
Brexit could mean less safe and nutritious produce, report warns
Exiting the European Union presents serious risks to businesses and workers in the food sector, a br ...Read More >
Mark Jones Comments on the Real Junk Food Project
The Real Junk Food Project charity may face prosecution A cafe chain that serves food destined for ...Read More >