The Calorie Labelling Regulations 2021: New Requirements for Restaurants, Cafes and Takeaways
Friday 1st April 2022
On 6 April 2022, The Calorie Labelling (Out of Home Sector) (England) Regulations 2021 come into force. The new Regulations require certain businesses to display calorie information on food and soft drinks.
Will I be Affected by the Calorie Labelling Regulations 2021?
The Regulations apply to you if:
- you’re a business/franchisee with 250 employees or more; and
- you sell food that is not pre-packed and suitable for immediate consumption.
What Do I Have to Do?
If the Calorie Labelling Regulations apply to you, you must:
- display the energy content of the food in kilocalories (kcal);
- reference the size of the portion to which the calorie information relates;
- display the statement that ‘adults need around 2000 kcal a day’;
The above information must be displayed at the customer’s ‘point of choice’ which will usually be the menu or next to the food item in a display case or buffet.
What if I Don’t Comply?
Local Authorities may issue improvement notices for non-compliance which may, if not complied with, result in a fine of £2,500.