Universal Solicitors – SRA Intervention

Thursday 12th May 2022

What Has Happened to Universal Solicitors?

Universal Solicitors has been closed down by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). We are dealing with the closure of the firm for the SRA. All files for ongoing matters handled by Universal Solicitors are in our possession.

What Happens Next?

All clients with an ongoing matter for whom we are holding a file will be notified and will then be able to tell us where to send their file. In the meantime, clients should instruct a new solicitor. We are not acting for you in place of Universal Solicitors.

If you need help finding a new solicitor or Immigration Advisor you may wish to visit:

• The Law Society’s find a solicitor page at: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
• The OISC’s advisor finder page at: https://home.oisc.gov.uk/adviser_finder/finder.aspx

It may be that newly instructed solicitors can make progress for you without your file but, if not, they can get in touch with us and we will do all we can to help.

If you have sent us a file request form, this will be dealt with as soon as possible. We aim to send files to where you want them sent within five working days of receipt. We appreciate your patience. If your request is urgent please let us know and we will do all we can to help.

What About Deeds and Wills Held at Universal Solicitors?

If your enquiry is about deeds or wills held by those solicitors, these documents will be held separately by the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s archives team who can be contacted at iaf@sra.org.uk or 02476 339250. It is likely to take the SRA’s archives team several months to schedule the deeds and wills, so there may be a delay in the processing of requests to send these documents. Your patience is appreciated.

Universal Solicitors were Holding Money for Me. What Should I do?

The accounts of Universal Solicitors are now closed and in the possession of the SRA. While we/the SRA will be working to identify and contact those who are beneficially entitled to money in their accounts, this is likely to take several months. In the meantime, if you wish to claim money held on your behalf urgently, you can make a claim to the SRA’s Compensation Fund. Details of how to claim can be found here: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-owes-money/ The SRA’s Compensation Fund will consider each claim with regard to its rules. We can’t guarantee the outcome of any claims made.

How do I contact Gordons?

• speak to Gordons on 0113 227 0384 (Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:30). You can leave a message outside office hours and we will call you back as soon as possible.
• email your query to Gordons at universal@gordonsllp.com
• find out more about interventions at the SRA’s website https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down/intervention/