Simon is a regulatory, investigations and corporate defence lawyer specialising in trading, consumer and safety law with a particular focus in the retail and consumer, food and drink and transport / logistics sectors.
In his experience across multiple international law firms, he has regularly advised large PLCs and blue-chip companies in relation to governance, compliance and in respect of regulatory investigations and enforcement. With a wide range of experience, he has advised businesses and individuals subject to investigations, enforcement and prosecutions by numerous bodies, including:
- The Police and Crown Prosecution Service;
- The Health & Safety Executive;
- The Office of Rail and Road;
- Trading Standards;
- The Environment Agency;
- Natural Resources Wales;
- Local Authorities; and,
- The Care Quality Commission.
Simon has significant contentious practice experience and holds his Higher Rights of Audience (Criminal) which allows him to work on all aspects of a regulatory case from its inception to investigation to trial / sentencing. He has also represented clients in inquests and public inquiries.
Simon’s wide experience covers:
- Health and Safety,
- Environmental law,
- Product, Food, Chemical and Plant Compliance (and movement across borders),
- Consumer Law and Consumer Protection (including advertising and marketing, pricing, promotions),
- Underage sales,
- Trading Law (e.g., Sunday trading law and other fair-trading matters),
- Transport/Licensing and Movement of Dangerous Goods, and
- Licensing, ESG and other supply chain / ethics matters (e.g., modern slavery).
Simon is regularly sought out to provide training to Boards and senior management on a range of regulatory issues.
He has been repeatedly recognised by the legal directories as a ‘Rising Star’ since 2021.