Law firm Gordons strengthens corporate team with new tax specialist
Yorkshire law firm Gordons has enhanced the services offered by its already-successful corporate team by appointing tax expert Julian Moran as Tax Solicitor.
Mr Moran, a qualified solicitor, has been a tax specialist for over a decade. He has run Yorkshire -based consultancy North Star Tax for the last four years, providing specialist advice on domestic and international matters to businesses and individuals via leading legal and accountancy firms.
He is an expert on the tax implications of issues such as buying and selling companies, property transactions and employee or executive remuneration strategies.
Mr Moran was educated at St John’s College, Oxford, and York’s College of Law, before training as a solicitor with Hammonds and qualifying into its corporate tax department. He later worked as a tax planner with Big Four accountants Ernst & Young and tax solicitor at Leeds law firm Walker Morris, before founding North Star.
Mr Moran said: “I’m delighted to be joining Gordons, as it’s an excellent firm with exciting ambitions. Tax is an important consideration for businesses but it can be complicated, and I’m looking forward to working with my new colleagues in Leeds and Bradford to provide companies with clear and straightforward advice. I really enjoy saving clients money by organising their affairs in more tax-efficient ways.”
James Fawcett, partner and head of Gordons’ corporate team, said Mr Moran’s recruitment represented a significant milestone in the firm’s continuing growth and success.
He said: “It’s great to welcome Julian aboard and we’re sure he’ll prove a valuable addition to our team. Our vision is to be Yorkshire’s leading law firm in three years’ time and appointing him as our dedicated business tax expert will help us realise that ambition by enhancing our range of services.”
One of the UK’s most successful law firms, with offices in Leeds and Bradford, Gordons has been established for over 169 years, currently employs 265 people and has a turnover of more than £25.3m. The firm’s excellence has been recognised in the following award schemes in the last year:
- Yorkshire’s Best Business with a turnover between £10m and £50m at the Yorkshire Post’s Business Excellence Awards.
- Private Client Team of the Year and Managing Partner of the Year in the Yorkshire Lawyer Awards.
- UK and Ireland Regional Team of the Year in the STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) Private Client Awards.
- Property Law Firm of the Year category in the Yorkshire Property Industry Awards.
- Apprenticeship Ambassador of the Year at the Leeds Apprenticeship Awards.
- Best Training and Best Job Satisfaction Awards in the annual Top Employers for School and College Leavers Awards and the highest ranked law firm in the Best Employer Category.
- Highly Commended in the Excellence in Community Investment category of the Law Society Excellence Awards.
Clients include Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc, construction and high performance materials manufacturer Saint Gobain, international brewers Molson Coors, greetings card retailer Card Factory and the world’s largest electrical heating business Glen Dimplex. For more information visit www.gordonsllp.com